Soul-Filled Weekend Schedule Includes Football Games, TECH Jxn, Parties
The first-ever Soul-Filled Weekend, hosted by Visit Jackson, brings a slate of activities to the City With Soul September 23-26, with two college football games at the core of weekend activities.
Soul-Filled Weekend will feature a historic first-time SWAC doubleheader: Jackson State University – led by Deion “Coach Prime” Sanders – will play Delta State University for the annual WC Gorden Classic. Mississippi Valley State University will challenge Southern University (Baton Rouge) for the Delta/Bayou Clash.
Festivities for Soul-Filled Weekend include:
Thursday, September 23
- WC Gorden/Ashley Robinson Golf Tournament (8:30 am, Lake Caroline Golf Course [must pre-register to participate]).
- Tech JXN College and Career Fair (9 am – 4 pm, Jackson Convention Complex) Students will have an opportunity to meet with prospective colleges and universities, participate in workshops for college and career preparedness, and explore the full scope of STEM Educational career opportunities in Jackson, MS and beyond.
- “The Business of Sports Marketing & Management” Symposium (2 pm) and Student Town Hall Forum (5:30 pm) at the Jackson Convention Complex. Special guests (TBA) will join students for a lively discussion on social justice, the rising cost of college education and a host of other topics of interest and importance to college students.
Friday, September 24
- Tech JXN College & Career Fair (9 am – 4 pm, Jackson Convention Complex).
- “Let Your Soul Glow Welcome Block Party,” sponsored by Ciroc Vodka (Friday 7 –10 pm, Lamar Street at Pascagoula Street), is a unique decades-themed “glow party” to welcome Soul-Filled Weekend 2021 football fans. The party is free to the public. VIP tables and bottle service is available.
- After Glow Party (Friday at Sweetie Pie’s Live) is “R&B Live meets American Idol” with The Singer’s Room Competition Live Show brought to you by host Dave Tolliver of hit recording group “Men At Large.”
Saturday, September 25
- WC Gorden Football Classic: Jackson State University versus Delta State University (2 pm, Veterans Memorial Stadium)
Sunday, September 26
- Soul-Filled Sunday Gospel Celebrunch (Sunday, 10 am, Horizon Event Center, 1170 Ellis Avenue) honoring’s JSU Athletic Director Ashley Robinson, JSU Women’s Head Basketball Coach Tomekia Reed, JSU Volleyball Coach Rose Washington, and MVSU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Lindsey Hunter)
- The Delta Bayou Clash between the MS Valley State University Delta Devils and the Southern University Jaguars (Sunday, 2 pm, Veteran’s Stadium)
Soul-Filled Weekend, an HBCU Football weekend unlike any other, is a specially curated weekend of experiences featuring signature interactive and themed activities, expanded tailgating including food, music, vendors, and more. The weekend’s festivities are expected to bring 20,000 people to the city of Jackson with an economic impact of $15 Million.
For vendor and volunteer opportunities or to see the complete list of official scheduled events and activities, visit soulfilledweekend.com.