Capital City Pride Celebrates Diversity, Inclusion With This Weekend’s Events
MS Capital City Pride, an organization that provides support to the LGBTQ+ community in Jackson, Mississippi, will host a three-day Pride Celebration this weekend with activities, ticketed and free, set to unite a community of people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations who are united, visible, and equal to all Mississippians.
The event has already raised the pledged $50,000 for Grace House, a non-profit charity established to provide a place where men with a common bond – (HIV/AIDS) – could live with integrity and without fear and prejudice. Additional weekend proceeds also benefit Grace House.
MS Capital City Pride Executive Director Jason McCarty said events like this weekend’s Pride are about opening doors for a more united community.
“I always say to people, ‘We’re about to have a 21st-century conversation. Are you prepared for that?’ By showing up at events, it starts a dialogue, and it starts a comfort level for people on a trajectory, and people can be open, honest and direct.”
For such a serious topic, the weekend is meant to be laid back and fun.
The schedule includes:
Friday, October 1
- Jerred Price as “Almost Elton John” will perform live – 6 pm.
– Food by Fine & Dandy, cocktails from Absolut, and a silent auction. Tickets are available here.
- Afterparty – 9 pm
Saturday, October 2
- Rainbow Run (5k family race and fun run) – 7:30 am. Signup at raceroster.com.
- The City With Pride Festival – 10 am – free
– Main Event:
SymoneJaida Essence Hall from RuPaul’s Drag Race (meet and greet starts at 3 pm / show starts at 5 pm)
– 12 bands and 47 drag queens from all over the Southeast United States (10 am – 5 pm)
– Kids area- bounce house, basketball tosses, face painting, and the Jackson Zoo, Mississippi Children’s Museum, and the Mississippi Natural Science Museum will be on hand for kids’ activities
– Over 50 vendors selling their treasures, including local health organizations
– Food vendors selling sweets/treats
– Special event day menu at Smith-Wills concessions
Sunday, October 3
Hal & Mal’s
- Outdoor brunch with Silky Nutmeg Ganache, Mississippi’s only Drag Race contestant). Meet and Greet starts at 11:30 am. Show starts at Noon. Tickets are available here.
- Unity March through Downtown Jackson – 3 pm – free
- The final Capital City Pride Block Party Dance – 4 – 8 pm – free
All events will require proof of completed vaccination or negative test result within the past 48 hours. Rapid testing will be available on site each day.